welcome
Fallen Skies is een 'high fantasy Textbased-RPG' die zich afspeelt in een mytische wereld vol wonderlijke wezens, monsters en magie. Het land verdeeld onder zes koningkrijken is altijd bewegend en beïnvloedbaar. Het kan zomaar zijn dat jij de held wordt van het gehele land of misschien zelfs de grootste terreur die Fallen Skies ooit meegemaakt heeft. Alles is mogelijk in deze gevaarlijk mooie wereld. En niets is gek genoeg.
map
season
De ondraaglijke hitte kan maar één ding betekenen. Zomer is in het land. En met regen dat over geheel Fallen Skies uitblijft ziet het er niet goed uit voor de boeren en minderbedeelden.
current event
Een onbekende ziekte teistert Fallen Skies. Niemand blijkt veilig te zijn voor de verwoestende dood die Queen Dacosta meegenomen lijkt te hebben. Is er een mogelijkheid om te overleven, of is iedereen ter dood veroordeeld?
staff
List of the current city rulers: click here
Account switch
Gebruikersnaam

Wachtwoord

credits
©2017 Fallen Skies staat onder leiding van het team en wordt ondersteund door Actieforum. Alle teksten, beelden, codes en plotlijnen zijn auteursrechtelijk beschermt door de desbetreffende eigenaar.

Vorige onderwerpGa naar benedenVolgende onderwerp
Mort Lennox
Aantal berichten : 571
IC posts : 566

Character sheet
Residence : Isla de Juegas

Why we lose - Pagina 3 Empty Re: Why we lose

wo mei 16, 2018 5:25 pm

THE HEART IS BEAUTIFUL
the mind is where the beast lives

Everything she was telling him, he had to just accept as the truth. He had no idea how it felt to be drunk. Or remotely tipsy. He couldn’t relate to the feeling of escaping reality from time to time either. Maybe only when he was dreaming. When there were no nightmares. But a vampire.. Didn’t sleep. So there was no dreaming either. ”I’ll take your word for it”, He chuckled. The life of a vampire was pretty boring, actually. He knew some could get a thrill out of hunting, but he was repulsed only by the idea.

The bar she had picked was ideal. Not too crowded, and it didn’t seem like the other guests were too interested in them when they walked in. Mort sat down on the opposite end of the table. He was sitting with his back towards the bar, but he trusted she would warn him in time if someone was sneaking up on him. He kept his eyes on her while she was scanning the room. It was interesting to observe her going on with her routines. She eventually shifted her attention back to him though. “So please, Mort. What is your story?” She asked. Ah. Of course.

The young vampire thought about it for a second. How could he keep this short? She probably wanted to hear about how and why he was turned. ”Uuh, to keep it simple.. I was eight years old when I lost my family at sea”, He started of. Not the entire truth, but it was not a lie either. ”A ship found me and they took me to a vampire in a foreign land. He took me in and raised me as his own kid, basically”, He continued, to take his mind off of the horrible memories of that one day. ”He was very kind, not only to me, but also to the people that lived in his house. They were a part of the same deal I explained earlier”, He said. ”But all comes with a price. I was in debt with him as well. When I was sixteen, I started paying him back in the same way. It wasn’t too horrible. He was always very careful, never took too much. But eventually everyone starts to suffer from the consequences. I was slowly dying. So in the end, when I was twenty-one, he gave me a choice. He could release me from my suffering by either killing me or turning me”, He sighed. It had been one of the hardest decisions in his life. ”I chose the second option, obviously. He then taught me his ways, how to behave, how to feed. I was a mess in my first year, but I slowly learned to control myself. When I was ready, I could leave. My debt was paid in full. And now I’m here”, He concluded the story with a little nod. His story was not one of bloodshed. And he was proud of it too.

Laatst aangepast door Mort Lennox op ma jul 09, 2018 12:20 am; in totaal 1 keer bewerkt
Lexa
Lexa
Aantal berichten : 559
IC posts : 503

Character sheet
Residence : Mothers watch

wo mei 16, 2018 5:41 pm
Everyone had a story to tell. One that had shaped them into the person they were today. Someone was born in riches and ended up without them, while another had a story of bloodshed that made them appreciate every single life on this planet. Everyone was different and everyone handled their experiences in a different way, turned their histories into a different future. It intrigued the woman. People could truly be interesting, if only you knew how to look at them.

Mort told her his story. His story of how he had been saved, yet captured. He had a story that did not involve bloodshed, but instead a deal that had been forced upon him when he was but a mere child. A vampire who had found a way to drain blood of as little humans as possible, but, in the progress ruining the entire life of those he did use. Mort had to decide whether he wanted to die the true death, or live his life as a walking dead man. Someone who lacked the small joys in life, but could still live it. He could still make something out of it and time was no longer an issue. It made Lexa wonder if living a permanent life was a blessing or a burden. Was it not the burden of death hanging over you that made you reconsider so many things in life? If she knew she would live forever if she did not enter battle, would she still do it? Would she still fight for her people?

The Commander listened carefully as Mort told her about how his debt was now paid in full and he had made his way to Rhoynar. Lexa frowned, seemed to think about his explanation for a bit. “Sounds like you’ve handled your situation quite well,” she spoke. “I am glad to see you are trying to live without turning yourself into a monster. It must be harsh.” For a second she looked at her arm, showing that faint smile again.
victory stands on the back of sacrifice
Mort Lennox

Character sheet

wo mei 16, 2018 6:05 pm

THE HEART IS BEAUTIFUL

This was the first time he ever told his story to a stranger. It was a strange feeling. It put everything in a perspective he hadn’t really thought about yet. How he had made it this far, how he had achieved things he had never thought he would. And at the same time, he hadn’t done much either. He had lived in the same house with the same people for almost twenty years. Fair, every now and then Edmund had to replace the blood dolls. But he never met people that had no idea of what the elder vampire was. His youth had gone by so quickly, and seemed pale in contrast with the time he had spent as a blood doll himself.

Being addicted to vampire venom.. Waiting for the next fix. In the end, asking for it. It was the reason why all blood dolls eventually died. The elder had shared that he used to set them free before it really meant their end. But almost everyone came back, begging for it. So had he. Though Mort had been the first one to be turned in a very long time. Probably because he had been living with Edmund almost all his life, and they had a better bond than the others usually had.

But he hadn’t chosen to be turned to stay with Edmund. Of course he saw him as a father figure. It didn’t mean he could replace his family. The main reason he had accepted the offer, was because it would give him a chance to go look for them. Especially his brother. It would also give him time. Hopefully enough time to find Kaspian before it was too late. “Sounds like you’ve handled your situation quite well,” She spoke after a brief silence. His blue eyes met hers again. “I am glad to see you are trying to live without turning yourself into a monster. It must be harsh.” She continued. He only shrugged. ”I refuse to be one”, He simply said. ”I have not taken a single life, and I would like to keep it that way”, He continued. Fair, Edmund had to kill some of his prey because he had accidentally messed them up so badly. That blood was on his hands as well. But killing someone himself? Never.

Lexa
Lexa

Character sheet

wo mei 16, 2018 7:14 pm
It was almost funny. Almost. How the boy in front of her was called a monster by her people, as he told her that he had not taken a single life. How he intended to keep it that way. For a second the Commander moved her gaze to the table, seemed to not be able to look at him. She wasn’t quite sure what the feeling was she felt at the moment. Was she ashamed? Troubled? No matter what, it was clear the woman wished her answer wasn’t what it was.

Just as she opened her mouth, the waitress came and asked them what they wanted to have. A smile appeared on Lexa’s face. “Two water, please,” she asked. Mort didn’t drink anyhow, so two water would be more than fine. The waitress spoke her scripted words and left the two again, which caused Lexa to slowly turn her gaze towards Mort again. She waited, sat in silence for a few minutes.

I wish my story was like that,” she spoke. She shook her head, almost seeming… disappointed. “Sadly I’ve killed more people than I wish to count.” Her eyes were fixed upon the young vampire as she tried to see what he was thinking, rather than focusing on the words he’d speak. She was curious. If he was so keen on not killing, not becoming a monster… What would he think of someone like her?
Mort Lennox

Character sheet

wo mei 16, 2018 7:59 pm

THE HEART IS BEAUTIFUL

After his words, he fell quiet for a second. His enhanced hearing had picked up a heartbeat coming closer, accompanied by footsteps. A female pace, he determined. Probably the waitress. In the corner of his eyes, he saw her appear to take their order. Lexa ordered two waters. The lady walked back to the counter to fetch the glasses. Mort focused on the other again, but she didn’t say anything for a few minutes. He wondered what she was thinking. He probably wasn’t the man she expected him to be. Had it surprised her so much she was out of words?

“Sadly I’ve killed more people than I wish to count.”

Her confession made him clench his jaw tightly. Why did she do it? Did she have her reasons? Or did she do it just because she could? She didn’t seem like someone who would do that. It had to be justified. Was it even possible to justify murder? Could it be forgiven if you had an actual reason? He didn’t know. Probably because he couldn’t understand either. He couldn’t understand how. How one could get into that mindset where they could just take a life. All these thoughts bounced through his head, and he had this puzzled expression in his eyes. As if he was doing a difficult math problem and he tried to figure out how to solve it. ”Why?” He finally asked, releasing the pressure in his jaw by speaking. His eyes were fixed on her, and her answer. This time it would be her words that could possibly mean the end of one of them.

Lexa
Lexa

Character sheet

wo mei 16, 2018 8:14 pm
The young vampire seemed puzzled. He seemed to struggle with some thoughts after the words she spoke. The Commander started tapping her fingers on the table, as if that would help with the uncomfortable feeling she was experiencing. She was finally having a nice conversation with a stranger. Did she have to go out and show him that she was a savage? That she was the monster he did not wish to be? Even if this life was forced upon her, even if it had been the way of her people and… Even if she was trying to change it all around. No. She couldn’t think like that. When was it that she had let the thoughts of foreigners get into her head? She was the Savage Queen and of that, she had to be proud. Right?

Do you want the long or the short story?” was the question she gave in return. She sighed, almost seeming defeated for a second. “Prepare to sit here for a while if it is the longer one you want.” The glasses were put on the table by the waitress as she spoke her words. She gladly took a sip and refused to take her eyes off of the vampire in front of her, who seemed to be ready to judge her for the story she was about to tell.
Mort Lennox

Character sheet

wo mei 16, 2018 8:27 pm

THE HEART IS BEAUTIFUL

Never could he imagine someone like her killing people for fun. She had not doubted to sacrifice herself to him, a vampire, to keep the people in these streets safe tonight. Not even her people, as she had told him. They were as strange and random to her as they were to him. The whole image he had of her, impended to be shattered if she couldn’t give him a satisfying answer. And he didn’t know if he could handle the disappointment. His reaction was unpredictable. He hadn’t killed and he meant it when he said that he didn’t plan on changing that. But he would not longer want to spend a second in her presence, knowing that she was in fact the monster that should be feared.

“Do you want the long or the short story?” She reacted to his single word question. “Prepare to sit here for a while if it is the longer one you want.” She continued. Before he could reply, the waitress came back, putting two glasses in front of them. He nodded a thank you and looked back at Lexa. He crossed his arms in front of him on the table. ”I am immortal. I have eternity”, He replied. He would try to keep an open mind, as he always did. She deserved that.

Lexa
Lexa

Character sheet

wo mei 16, 2018 8:46 pm
Let’s start with a little backstory, then,” the Commander started. It was difficult to find an explanation for everything she had done, without going deeper into the roots of her people. “In Vanaheim we believe in the Mother. She’s what you’d call our God. We believe that she rules over us through the current Commander. There are a lot of old traditions believed to be held in Her eyes. In Her honor,” she explained. She could go into more detail about their belief, but she trusted that this would be enough to explain how important their Mother was to the people of Vanaheim. To the Children.

I grew up without much parental care,” she spoke. For a second she fell quiet, considering whether or not to tell him about her parents. But, she decided it was irrelevant. Did not add anything to the story, which was already long enough as it was. “I went for the streets. I started doing simple tasks for people and in exchange I got water, food, clothing and training. I got taught how to wield a dagger before most children know how to cut their own meat,” she explained. It was not even an exaggeration. “I started to head for the people who taught me more often than those who fed me. I learned how to take care of myself on the streets. To live without a mother, without any family… It was harsh, but I had the people who helped me in exchange for my help to them,” she spoke. The woman seemed to be back in Vanaheim as she spoke, her eyes fixed upon the table as she recalled her past. “I ended up being trained by the best there were. They taught me how to wield daggers, blades, even a spear. I knew how to fight and how to kill.” She looked at Mort again, falling quiet for a second as she thought about how to introduce the second part of her story, now that she had explained this to him.

When I was fourteen, the Conclave was about to happen. Children are supposed to participate. In my Conclave, there were seven others,” she spoke, again fixing her eyes on the table instead of on her conversation partner. She felt like she had been explaining for ages and she had not even come to the part where she had to tell him about the deaths. “Finn, Wells, Cece, Monty, Jasper, Nathan, Connor and… Obviously, me.” She knew every single name and would never forget their sacrifice. “In the Conclave, Children between age twelve and sixteen are sent to the top of our highest Mountain. From there, they make their way back to the village. The road is… dangerous. There are many creatures that can kill you. Creatures that I still fear on this day,” she went on. The thought of a Behemoth would scare the strongest vampires, the most fearless werewolves. “Two died on their way home. It was a spectacle, because six survived. A new record.” She shook her head as she put her elbow on the table, leaned her forehand on her hand. It was still difficult to think about the event and this was easily heard in the tone of her voice, which lost the sharp tone it normally had. “Sadly, that’s not how things go. Only one can survive.” She bit on her lip as she saw the event happen again, heard her friend scream for mercy as she put a dagger in his chest. As she spoke the next words, her gaze moved to his eyes again, waiting to see what he’d think of what she had told him up until now.

I killed my friends at age fourteen.
Mort Lennox

Character sheet

wo mei 16, 2018 9:07 pm

THE HEART IS BEAUTIFUL

In the short time they had spent together today, he felt like they had made some sort of connection. It was probably because she had fed him. It was a familiar feeling, but at the same time something new. More intense. He felt like he had made a friend. The first one in years. He had never really had friends that weren’t his family in a way. His brother was his first friend. Then he had become friends with the people that lived at Edmund’s place. But none of them were there out of free will, and only tried to make their time there as bearable as possible. She was the first stranger he bonded with. And already he was faced with a challenge. Could he put his own values aside to accept hers?

The story was indeed long. It was horrific. Now he understood why people called them Savages. It almost looked like a history lesson. Edmund used to teach him in that subject. Most of the time, it were stories of barbaric practises. Murder, torture, war. This story was not different. It was tragic. She had been forced into her lifestyle because she had no proper guidance. Something that would have happened to him too if it hadn’t been for Edmund. She had been forced to participate in a Conclave, organised by the elders of her people. People that were supposed to protect her and the other children.

“I killed my friends at age fourteen.”

Mort felt a sharp sting in his chest, where his heart used to beat. She had done it for survival. Because if she had chosen not to kill them, she would have been the one dead now. Didn’t he do exactly the same thing? Didn’t he chose to become a monster to stay alive too? For a while he stared at his own hands, processing the information. Finally he looked up to meet her gaze again. He tried really hard not to judge her. ”I could understand. You had no choice. You had to survive”, He spoke softly. ”But why? Why do they make their children do that? What’s the point?” He continued, the tone in his voice disapproving, but still soft.

Lexa
Lexa

Character sheet

wo mei 16, 2018 9:33 pm
Lexa did not directly respond to his questions, as they would be answered eventually. If she were to take her story out of order, it would probably make even less sense than it already might. “The Conclave is hosted in the eyes of our Mother. It is believed that the Winner of this Conclave has to become the new Commander,” she explained. “Between the age of twelve and sixteen they have grown old enough to have practiced to wield their weapons, yet they are young enough to be shaped. They do not have an opinion on the world yet and the Mother can still imprint this on them.” She made it sound simple, almost. As if it was proven. “Not going full-out during the Conclave is in disrespect to the Mother and will haunt you in the afterlife. Because, if you stood a chance and you die purposefully, you are being selfish. You are possibly ridding the land of a more suited Commander.” Selflessness was a very important trait, yet… No one was fully selfless. It just wasn’t human to be. “So, we fought. I won. I was the last one standing and was believed to be chosen by the Mother, to be blessed by Her and become the new Commander.

Lexa took a deep breath, before she went on. “I spent two years at the side of my Commander until he died. He was… a ruthless man. He truly believed all traditions to be correct and that every outsider would be the death of us. He got this message into our people, got them… to close up to change.” Lexa shook her head, thinking back on the man that had led the land before she did. “When he died, I took over. I was… blurred by his visions. Foreigners were bad. Vampires and werewolves were monsters and everyone needed to stay away from us.” Her voice became a bit weaker as she spoke, as if she went back to these days. These days of darkness, which seemed so far away, yet so close to her still.

I eventually saw what was happening. It was not right. My people are blinded by their beliefs. Once I started to try and open them up, however, there… started to be riots.” The Commander frowned, spacing out as she stared into her glass of water. “I had to kill. It is the only way. It is kill or be killed and if I get killed, another will just take over.” Not only was she protecting her own life, she was also delaying another Conclave by protecting herself. “They felt their ideals weren’t respected by me, but in truth… Their ideals had turned into fanaticism. There was no talking. They just… fought. Scared of what would happen if they let it in. But what could I do?” She shook her head, sounding… troubled. It might be the first time in her life that her voice actually cracked, uncertain of what to do. “I had decided. I needed to open their minds. I need them to accept that the world isn’t ours. That there are people with different beliefs. That they are going to make war on us if we don’t accept their coexistence. And we in turn make war on them. They dream of living their life, bowing before their Commander and locked away from reality, but it is not possible. It simply isn’t.

The woman was quiet for a few minutes as she stared into her glass. Her voice had gotten more serious over time and she actually had a bit of trouble to not become emotional at the thought of her people. At the thought of what she wanted to accomplish. “I need to use their ways to make them change them. Those who oppose me will be punished for their sins. Only then will I stay with those who are willing to accept the rest of the world, before the rest of the world decides they do not accept us.” She bit her lip, shook her head. “And I hope to convince my Second of this, the child that will be forced into my place when I die. Because I will. And I can only hope that they will finally realize.
Mort Lennox

Character sheet

wo mei 16, 2018 9:59 pm

THE HEART IS BEAUTIFUL

While she was talking, Mort forgot to fake his breathing. He was just sitting there, like a statue. Normally he would pay attention to moving around every now and then, to appear more human. But now he was purely focused on her and what she was saying. She revealed she was actually the Commander of Vanaheim. Basically the person in charge. That she had been chosen to lead the people. How she had been trained by the previous Commander, and forced into a mindset of hate and exclusion towards strangers. More killing had to happen. Because she realised she was doing wrong, and her people were following her into this destructive behaviour.

When she talked about having a change of heart, he nodded once. There was no reason not to believe her. Deep down he knew she was telling the truth. She sounded devastated. Hopelessly trying to find a solution, but unable to. Her devotion to her people was sincere, but they wouldn’t accept it. Only because she thought differently. Because she wanted to stop the unnecessary violence. Before it would make more innocent victims. It seemed like an impossible task. But she had set her hope on convincing her successor.

”If you sit down with them and tell them the same thing you just told me, they will believe you”, He said, barely a whisper. He was really overwhelmed by everything right now. ”Because I do”, He clarified. Yes, it had been enough for him to accept it. Why she killed people. She was not a monster. She was just one person, facing the entire world all by herself. ”I’m sorry you’re in this position”, He carefully said. ”But maybe your God really chose you. Because she knew you could make a difference”, He continued. He didn’t want to assume anything. Didn’t want to interpret and explain her own faith to her. But maybe it would give her some courage. She really looked like she needed it.

Lexa
Lexa

Character sheet

wo mei 16, 2018 10:08 pm
The Commander had slowly moved her eyes back to the vampire in front of her. The rare shimmer of insecurity was visible in her eyes as she looked at him. His words came through to her and she realized he had accepted her explanation as true. She, in turn, realized she might have broken another rule and told a stranger too much about her country. About their beliefs, morals and traditions. But, to understand there needs to be knowledge. How could she expect the world to accept them, if they did not know more than what they had heard? It would be an endless battle. She needed both sides to listen. Something that would not happen until it was too late.

‘I’m sorry you’re in this position,’ the vampire sounded. He had told her that he believed her and that he believed her Second would do the same. That maybe, her God had been right and that She knew that her Commander would make a difference. Slowly, Lexa nodded. “The problem lies with the fact that I have to host a Conclave for a second to be chosen. Do I not, I will not know who it will be and I will be left without the chance to explain to him. He’ll be put in the hands of the people who disagree.” She shook her head, sighed. “And that is why I am here. Fleeing from my duty.” She finally took another sip of her glass. Her story had finally ended. And, he seemed to understand. It was a strange feeling.
Mort Lennox

Character sheet

wo mei 16, 2018 10:26 pm

THE HEART IS BEAUTIFUL

The way this situation had developed, had surprised him. Her intention was to get to know him better. And yes, he had shared his story. But then the whole conversation had shifted towards her. She had promised him a long story and she had delivered. With the information he had now, he could finally understand her so much better. Maybe it hadn’t been her intention to expose so much of herself and her people. But he was glad she had. Mort wasn’t one to base his opinions on people on loose facts and rumours. Now he had all he needed. Lexa was not a monster. Even though she had taken many lives, he didn’t lose his respect for her.

The vampire eased into his chair again, relaxing his muscles. Now she offered him her next problem. She would have to organise a Conclave to figure out who was going to be her Second. More bloodshed. The tip of his tongue darted to trace the upper curve of his mouth. ”If you don’t host it, wouldn’t all the sacrifices you made be for nothing though?” He carefully suggested. ”If this turns out right.. It might be the last Conclave ever held”, He continued, sharing his thoughts.

Lexa
Lexa

Character sheet

wo mei 16, 2018 10:34 pm
Mort understood. He actually did. He spoke the words that she had been asking herself, the words that she seemed to be needing to hear. She nodded as he suggested his opinion, as he voiced the hope that she had as well. “I will have to. I know I do,” she spoke. She was not planning on not hosting it at all. She did not want to leave Vanaheim to Her own mistakes again. “Just the thought of it brings back the memories and it is so hard, so hard to put a child through the same thing,” she spoke, slowly shaking her head. “My people think it’s a holy event. They mourn the losses, but believe that they have been embraced by our Mother and that is the greatest blessing one can have.” They believed that it was the right thing to do.

What they forget is… how broken it leaves the one that wins. Stabbing your own friends, cutting their throats. Running away from them if you could have helped them survive… It’s not just a scar. It’s like you lose a part of you once you get out of it.” Why did she keep sharing this with the vampire? Why did she seem to insist on ruining her people’s trust? Not only was he a foreigner, not even from the lands of Fallen Skies. He was also a Vampire. He was the last person on this earth she should be talking to. And here she was.
Mort Lennox

Character sheet

wo mei 16, 2018 10:58 pm

THE HEART IS BEAUTIFUL

It was his nature to find the positive in the most negative situations. Hers was pretty dire. He wouldn’t want to be in her position. She had to make decisions like this, and she had been doing that since she was a child. His past wasn’t the best either, but it was far from as bad as hers. He truly felt sorry for her, and he wished he could say or do something to free her from her pain and sadness. That was also one of his personality traits. If he could help others, he felt the most satisfaction. Because he had a purpose. So he offered his thoughts on the matter, in the hope she would find courage in them to push through the things she was dealing with now.

When she talked about losing a part of herself, he knew exactly what that felt like. She seemed so vulnerable right now, and all he wanted to do was hug her. But he felt like that could be too much for her. So he limited his support to simply placing his hand on top of hers. ”I understand how you feel. I lost my brother. We got separated at sea. I failed to hold on to him. It’s not the same, because I don’t believe he is dead. But he is gone either way”, He told her, his voice a low hum as he kept the volume down. ”But I’m sure he wants me to come and find him. To not give up on him”, He continued, pulling the corner of his mouth up in a little smile. ”Your friends believe in you, too. So they have not died in vain. So the children that die in their conclave, will not die needless deaths either. It will be their last service to you, their Commander. You should honour them by supporting the one that lives. You know what it’s like. Prepare him”, He continued. Hopefully his advice wouldn’t be too blunt for her. He was an outsider, but in a way, it could be a useful perspective.

Gesponsorde inhoud

Vorige onderwerpTerug naar bovenVolgende onderwerp
Permissies van dit forum: